Shakeology

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Independence Day


Independence from weakness
Take a moment and think about it: independence.  What, exactly, does that mean to you? 

As it coincides with my fitness journey, this is what it means to me.

Independence from nicotine.  It's been over two years since I laid the PFunks down.  My lungs are thankful, my teeth and throat are thankful, and my family is thankful.  If you are a smoker, let this be your day to declare independence from the pack.

Independence from fast food.  I can't remember the last time I ate anything from the Golden Arches, the King, or that little red-headed slut.  I don't crave it; the thought of it makes me want to hurl.  I no longer sacrifice my nutrition for the sake of convenience.  Just recently, Chic-Fil-A went through the exit door as well.  My goal now?  Never again will I purchase food from a window.

Independence from wishing.  Wishing for health and smaller pants never got me very far.  Turns out, working for my goals not only got me there, but got me dreaming and achieving bigger and better.  I found I can accomplish more on a daily basis than I ever dreamed, or wished, I could.


Independence from negativity
Independence from weakness.  Every day, I make my body stronger.  I work harder, I eat cleaner.  The very rewarding byproduct of this?  Every day, I make my mind and my soul stronger, too.  The more I discover what my body is capable of, the more I realize what I am capable of in my life.  This journey has led me far past the physical. 

Independence from negativity.  I no longer devote my time to the haters, the naysayers, the two-faced gossips.  They are no longer my concern.  I will not waste my energy on those so devoted to building themselves up by tearing others down.  I am far too busy climbing to the top and bringing as many people as I can along with me.  I tend to feel happier and more content when I am helping others to feel the same.  No more exclusive clubs; in this case, independence equals inclusion.


Independence from "can't"
Independence from "can't."  I banished that word from my vocabulary and my house.  In this house, there is no such thing as "can't."  Instead, there are goals and steps to reach them.  A year ago, I was beginning training for my first half marathon.  Running is hard work and there were definite "can't" moments in my head.  I may not be able to pinpoint the exact moment that changed, but I went from training for that race to running a full marathon this year.  Excuses no longer mean anything to me, so don't try to offer them up.  I have an argument or a solution for every "can't" you give me.

There you have it.  My Fourth of July Independence Day diatribe, written in my post-Insanity endorphin high.  So now, tell me - what does independence mean to YOU? 

No comments:

Post a Comment